Step 1) Research the artist using a variety of print and internet resources (see below). Write down a list of your top three favorite photographers and submit it to me. I will then help you choose from your provided list by narrowing it down to one photographer, making sure no one else has the same one!
Step 2) Print out images on a word document (minimum of 3) in Master Photographer Board. Label each image with the date and title of the photograph. Write why did you select this image?
Step 3) Write a brief (at least one page) essay about the artist. You must research to find information that answers the following questions about your photographer:
1) Why did this person make photographs? What was he/she after as a photographer
2) What major contributions did your photographer make to the world of art and photography? (Identify at least two)
1) When and where was this photographer born?
2) What type of education did this person have as he/she was growing up?
3) What personal or otherwise significant events happened in the early life of this photographer that may have
effected their view on life and his/her art?
Origins and Influences
1) When was this person first introduced to photography? How did they initially discover it?
2) How did this context affect or inspire your photographer’s work?
3) What or whom was this photographer most influenced by? (Consider the many elements and factors surrounding
this person’s life?
4) How do these influences surface or appear in this photographer’s work? (Refer to specific works as examples.)
5) Identify an art movement, group, or publication this photographer was affiliated with? (i.e. Surrealism, Pop-Art,
Dadaism, New-Realists, etc.)
6) How did being involved with this art movement, group, or publication influence this photographer’s ideas or
approach to making his/her work?
List the sources including url’s and books or magazines.
Manuel Alvarez Bravo
E. J. Bellocq
Julia Margaret Cameron
Alvin Langdon Coburn
Clarence John Laughlin
Ralph Eugene Meatyard
Mike and Doug Starn
William Henry Fox Talbot
Weegee (Arthur Fellig)
Google your photographer and search on youtube. Find interviews and articles about them.
If you cannot find anything, see me and look into another source