The Junior/Senior Show runs from March 20th to May 1st at the Howard County Board of Education. It is the most prestigious county-wide show. Roughly 90 senior works and 40 junior works from the 12 county high schools are selected for the show. Students in Photo II/III and Art III/IV are able to enter work. To get a work into the show is a nice honor. There is an award ceremony that takes place on April 15th at the Rouse Theatre followed by a reception at the Board of Education Gallery.
All students are REQUIRED to submit an entry. This is a 50 point grade. The entry process will be done in two simple parts. Read the directions carefully! Failure to follow the directions will disqualify your entry and lose you points.
Part I - DUE: (25 points)
Select 4 artworks/photos to enter for the show. There are no limitations to size or media. Photo/Art crossover students should create two separate entires (one for each class). Sophomores in Art III are allowed to participate. Create a page in Mahara with the following:
-Title it “Junior/Senior Show Entry”
- Images (good quality) of 4 artworks or photos each labeled with the following info:
- Artist Statement: An artist’s statement is a brief narrative by the artist that describes their body of work and its meaning. Your artist statement should summarize your work produced so far this year and keep to a maximum of 300 words. Write in general terms about the entire body of your work, not just a single specific piece.
Things to potentially address in your statement:
1. What have you been interested in exploring this year?
2. What is your concentration?
3. What master artist mentors have been an influence on your work?
4. Talk about the technical process of making your work and the meaning/theme and ideas behind the work.
5. What are you planning to do with art in the future?
*Write your statement in Word first so that it is checked for spelling, grammar and word count. It should sound professional. Avoid stereotypical teenager lingo.
** SHARE YOUR PAGE WITH THE GROUP. REMEMBER I CAN’T SEE IT OR GRADE IT UNTIL YOU SHARE IT!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE AN EXAMPLE LAYOUT.
Student Artist Statements for the Senior Show.docx
Part II - DUE: (25 points)
To officially submit your application to the county for the junior/senior show you must carefully follow these directions:
1. To earn your 25 points, you must submit let me see your completed application before you click the final submit button. This means you will need to complete this in class.
2. Open your Mahara application page. This should be completed and revised. Double check everything!
3. Go to the sharing tab under the portfolio tab.
- Click on the “edit secret URL access” button by your application page
1. Click on the add button. You will see a web address generated. You will eventually copy and paste this into the county application.
2. Open the following link in another tab or window: APPLICATION LINK
3. Fill out all of the information. This is used to generate invitations, labels and signage for the show. Triple check it for accuracy. Copy and paste your statement in. MAKE SURE IT IS ERROR FREE!
4. Copy and paste your Mahara application page URL address (from step 5) into the final box on the application.
5. STOP!! BEFORE YOU CLICK THE SUBMIT BUTTON, SHOW ME YOUR PAGE TO GET CREDIT AND TO HAVE A FINAL LOOK.
6. ok...click it now.